What type of key does your Dodge Avenger require? What is the difference between a Dodge Avenger key fob to a transponder key? Where and how can you copy a key to your car? How can you program a duplicate key yourself? What can you do if you have lost the key to your Dodge Avenger?
Did you know that if you already have two working keys to your Dodge Avenger, you can program a duplicate key yourself?
Dodge Avenger key replacement
The Dodge Avenger was made between the years 1995 to 2000. Dodge stopped making this vehicle from 2001 to 2007, and then they started to make the vehicle again from 2008 until now. Over the years, Dodge has changed the keys for the Dodge Avenger. Below we will share some information with you about the Dodge Avenger key by the year.
- If your Dodge Avenger was made in the years 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, or 2000, then your car requires just a regular key without any features. If you are looking to just make a key copy, you can make one in many hardware stores, or a locksmith shop. If you lost the key, a locksmith will be able to make you a new key right at your car’s location. If you want to save some money by doing the work yourself, you can disassemble the passenger door lock and find the key code stamp on this lock. A locksmith will be able to make you a new key from this key code.
- If your Dodge Avenger was made in the years 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014, then your key has a hidden electronic chip inside. This key will have to be programed to your car. A locksmith company or Dodge dealership will be able to cut and program the key for you. Your car can have one type of two types of keys. It can be just a regular transponder chip key, also known as the grey colored key, or it can have a key fob. This one will have push buttons on it.
- If your Dodge Avenger was made in the years between 2008 and 2014, you can program a third duplicate key yourself. Please read the paragraph below.
Make a Duplicate Key – You will have to have two working keys
To be able to program a duplicate key yourself, you will have to have two working keys. This means you can program a third key yourself. If you do not have two working keys, the only way to program another key is by using a locksmith company or a Dodge dealership.
If you do have two working keys, this is how you can save some money by doing some of the work yourself:
At first you will need to get a key blank. You can buy a key blank on many online stores. Some of them are ebay.com, amazon.com, or ikeyless.com. After you get the key blank in the mail, you can take it to a locksmith shop or Ace Hardware with one of your existing keys and ask them to copy the old key to your new key.
After you get your key copied, take all the keys with you, the two old ones and the new one, to your Dodge Avenger, and this is how you can program the third key yourself:
- Insert the first old key you have into the ignition and turn the car to the run position.
- In less than 15 seconds, but more from 5 seconds, turn the key back to the off position.
- Remove the first key and insert the second old key and turn it to the on position. This must be done within 15 seconds from removing the first old key.
- After you insert the second old key, wait about 10 seconds and a theft alarm will light up and you will hear a ding sound to let you know that your car has moved to the programming mode.
- Within less than a minute, remove the second old key and insert your new key you want to program. Turn it to the on position.
- After about 10 seconds, you will hear the ding sound and the theft alarm light will go off. After about 5 seconds you can turn the car to the off position and remove the key. Now your third key has been programmed.
Dodge Avenger ignition problems
If you have problems with your ignition, the problem may not be because of your ignition. You would be surprised at how many times we have found that the problem is caused because of the key. Just a small modification to the cuts on your key can be enough to stop the ignition from turning. The best fix we can recommend for this problem is to make a new key using your car’s VIN number or key code. If that doesn’t fix the problem, you will have to call a locksmith and have them rekey your lock.
NEED A LOCKSMITH IN COLORADO?
Call Mile High Locksmith for 24/7 mobile service.
- Our dispatch center is located in downtown Denver.
- We have locksmiths across CO – Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder & surrounding cities.
- Lockouts, new locks, key replacement, ignition repair, and more!
- Upfront pricing. No hidden fees.
- Rated 5 stars by over thousands of real customers.