How and where can you get a new key replacement for your Ford Windstar? Does your car key have a chip inside of it? Did you lose the key or just need a key copy? Mile High Locksmith ™ is an expert automotive locksmith company. We would like to share some of the more common questions we receive from our customers about Ford Windstar locks and keys.
Do you have a problem turning your key in the ignition? We recommend that you make a new key by your SUV VIN number.
Ford Windstar has just a simple key. If your Ford Windstar was made between the years 1995 and 1997, then your key has no features and can be copied at many hardware stores, locksmith shops, or even Walmart. If your Ford Windstar was made between the years 1998 and 2003, then your key can be copied only by a professional, such as a locksmith company or the dealership.
Ford Windstar lost key
If you lost the key to your Ford Windstar, the cost of a new key replacement will depend on the year of your SUV. Below, we will share a list of what type of key your Ford Windstar requires and where you can have a new key made.
- If your Ford Windstar was made in the years 1995, 1996, or 1997, then you have just a simple key with no features. The best place to order a new key replacement will be with a mobile automotive locksmith company. A locksmith will have special tools for making you a new key especially for an older model. From 1995 to 1996 it can be that your Ford Windstar will need two separate keys. One for the ignition and the doors, and one for the trunk and the glove box.
- If your Ford Windstar was made in the years 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, or 2003, then your key has an electronic chip hidden inside the key head. For Ford Windstars from 1998 to 2003, you will need to call a locksmith for new key. For years 2004 and up you will be able to get a new key either with a locksmith company or Ford dealership. The difference between the two will be the price and type of services. The locksmith will be able to make you a new working key at your SUV’s location, when the dealer will ask you to bring the SUV in.
Ford Windstar key won’t turn in ignition
It is a common problem that the Ford Windstar shares with many other vehicles. The key stops turning the ignition switch. Even when it seems that the problem is the ignition lock, you will be surprised to know that the problem can be the key itself. Even just a small modification to the key, (one that you cannot even see with your eyes), will be just enough to cause this problem. A worn out key is the most common reason why the key will not turn in the lock or even damage the ignition.
Making a copy of the defective key will not solve the problem. The best fix for this will be to make a new key by the car’s key code or VIN number. If that doesn’t help, the next thing will be to call a locksmith and ask them to rekey the lock for you.
NEED A LOCKSMITH IN COLORADO?
Call Mile High Locksmith for 24/7 mobile service.
- Our dispatch center is located in downtown Denver.
- We have locksmiths across CO – Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder & surrounding cities.
- Lockouts, new locks, key replacement, ignition repair, and more!
- Upfront pricing. No hidden fees.
- Rated 5 stars by over thousands of real customers.