Does your Mitsubishi Montero have an electronic chip inside of it? Where can you get a new key replacement or key copy? What to do if your key will not turn your ignition? These are some of the common questions we have received from our customers from over the years and we would like to share some of the answers here.
Did you know that you can find the key code information for your Mitsubishi Montero on the passenger door lock?
If you need a key copy made from the year 1983 to 1999, you can get the key duplicate in many hardware stores. One of the hardware stores we recommend is Ace Hardware. From the year 2000 and up, only a professional will be able to make you a key copy, such as a locksmith or the dealership.
Mitsubishi Montero key replacement
Mitsubishi has changed their keys over the years for the Mitsubishi Montero. Below we will share with you information on what type of a key your SUV requires by the year, as well as where you can have the key made:
- If your Mitsubishi Montero was made in the years 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, or, 1999, then your key does not have any features and are very easy to make.
- If your Mitsubishi Montero was made in the years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, or 2005, then your key has an invisible chip inside the key head. These keys are called transponder chip keys and besides cutting these keys, the key will need to be programed to the vehicle.
- If your Mitsubishi Montero was made in the years 2006, 2007, or 2008, then the only way to get the key blank to the vehicle will be from the Mitsubishi dealership. You can either have the dealership cut and program the key for your, or just buy the key blank from them and have a locksmith company cut and program the key for you.
Mitsubishi Montero key programming
There is no way to program a Mitsubishi Montero key by yourself. The most common way to program these keys is by using an automotive locksmith company or the dealership. The difference between the two is the type of service and prices. An automotive locksmith will be able to come to your SUV’s location and make you a working key right on spot. The dealership will ask you to bring your car in.
Mitsubishi Montero key won’t turn
If your key stops turning or sometimes turns and sometimes doesn’t, most likely this problem is caused because of the key itself. Even just a small modification that you cannot see with your eye will be just enough to cause the key not to work. Another reason can be that one of the parts inside of the lock got stuck and is not letting the key turn.
This is what we recommend you to try. First, get a new key made by either your SUV VIN number, or key code. Do not try to just make a key copy. If that does not fix the problem, you will need to ask a locksmith to rekey the lock for you.
Mitsubishi Montero key code
Sometimes you don’t have any nearby locksmith or Mitsubishi dealership. Some people find it useful to just disassemble the passenger door lock and get the key information that way. On the passenger door lock there is the key code stamp, and you can use this key code information and provide it to a locksmith in order to get a new key. Keep in mind that from the year 2000 and up, you will need to program the key to your car with professional tools.
NEED A LOCKSMITH IN COLORADO?
Call Mile High Locksmith for 24/7 mobile service.
- Our dispatch center is located in downtown Denver.
- We have locksmiths across CO – Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder & surrounding cities.
- Lockouts, new locks, key replacement, ignition repair, and more!
- Upfront pricing. No hidden fees.
- Rated 5 stars by over thousands of real customers.