Where do you go to get a replacement key for your GMC Yukon after you’ve lost it, or you just need to get a key copy made? How much will it cost to unlock your SUV if your keys are locked inside? Does your GMC Yukon have a transponder chip key? Mile High Locksmith has been making GMC Yukon keys for over a decade. We make keys, unlock doors, we can pull broken keys out of the ignition cylinder, repair the ignition cylinder, door and cargo area locks. Below we would like to share some information about your GMC Yukon keys and locks.
If you just need a key copy for your Yukon, you have different options to copy the key. If your GMC Yukon was made in model year 2005 or before, you can simply copy these keys at a locksmith shop or at a hardware store.If your Yukon was made in model year 2006 or after, you will need to copy the key and also have it programed to your SUV.
Below we will specify what kind of key your GMC Yukon requires by the year.
- If your GMC Yukon was made in the years 1992, 1993,1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, or 2005, then you have a regular key with no special features. If you lost the key and have no spare, the two places we recommend to get a replacement key made are an automotive locksmith or a GMC dealership. Both places can make a new key by using your SUV VIN number or by a key code that is usually stamped on the ignition lock.
- If your GMC Yukon was made in the years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 then you have a transponder chip key. These keys need to be cut and programed to your SUV. If you lost the key, and have no spare, you will need to have the key made by either a locksmith or GMC dealership.The difference between the two in this case will be that in order to program your key at the GMC dealership, you will have to have your SUV towed in, whereas, an automotive locksmith will be able to come to your Yukon’s location and make you a new replacement key. The two places will most likely make you a key by your SUV VIN number.
- If your GMC Yukon requires a new transponder key, and you have some extra time, you can save money by doing some of the work yourself. Basically, your GMC Yukon key can be programed manually by turning on and off the ignition switch. The instructions for programing the key are listed below.
How to program a GMC Yukon transponder chip key yourself:
- Buy a new transponder chip key and have it cut at a GMC dealership or at a locksmith store.
- Insert the new working key into your SUV ignition and turn it to the ON or RUN position. The theft light on your dash will light up and stay on for about ten minutes.
- When the theft light goes out, repeat the second step two more times.
- When the theft light goes out the third time, then your new key has been programmed.
- To program a second key, you will have 20 seconds after completing the first key. Insert the second key and turn to the ON position. When the light goes out, the second key is programmed.