In general, Dodge Ram Pickup Truck keys are very easy to make. If you lost the key or just need a key copy, first, you will need to find out what kind of key your truck requires, and if there is a chip inside the key or not. Mile High Locksmith is an expert automotive locksmith company. We can make new keys, repair keys, and program them. We also work on ignition locks and door locks. Please read below for some information we have shared with you about Dodge Ram Pickup Truck keys and locks.
Did you know that you can program a duplicate key to your truck yourself?
Dodge Ram truck key replacement
- Over the years the Dodge Ram keys have been changed four different times. Below we will share a list with you on what type of key your Dodge Ram Pickup Truck requires by the year.
- If your Dodge Ram Pickup Truck was made in the years 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, or 2001, then your truck has just a regular key. If you lost the key or just need a key copy, you can get this key either with a locksmith company, or with the later years, you can get the key made with a Dodge dealership. Both the locksmith and the dealership will be able to make you a new key by your truck’s VIN number, or with the earlier years, the locksmith will have special tools to get the key information for you.
- If your Dodge Ram Pickup Truck was made in the years 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, or 2008, then your truck requires a transponder chip key. Besides cutting the key, you will need to have the key programed to your truck. A locksmith company or a Dodge dealership will be able to make you a key by your truck VIN number. The difference between the two, is the type of service. A locksmith will be able to make you a working key at your truck location, whereas the dealership will ask you to bring the truck in.
- If your Dodge Ram Pickup Truck was made in the years 2006, 2007, or 2008, then in these years, you have the option to have a key fob remote. These keys look the same as a regular key, the only difference is, is that they have push buttons on the key head to lock and unlock the doors.
- If your Dodge Ram Pickup Truck was made in the years 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 or 2016 then your Dodge Ram Pickup Truck requires a Smart key. You can have these keys made either by a locksmith company or a Dodge dealership. For these keys, we recommend that you shop around for prices and service.
This can be caused because of a couple of reasons. These reasons can be:
- The first thing we recommend you to try is to ask from a locksmith or a Dodge dealership to cut you a new key either by a VIN number or key code. Do not try to make a key copy from your old key because your key may be worn out.
- The second thing we recommend you to try is to ask a locksmith to rekey your ignition lock. It can be that one of the parts in the ignition cylinder is stuck.
You can program duplicate keys yourself
You must have two working keys. We always recommend to our customers that they have two working keys, and this is why:
From the year 2002 most of the Dodge Ram Pickup Trucks require a transponder chip key to be programed to your truck. If you have two working keys you can program a third key yourself, which will save you some money.
This is why it is always a good idea to have 3 working keys at all times. Two spare keys and one that you use.
Programming a Dodge RAM transponder key yourself
- You must have two working keys.
- You can buy a transponder chip key blank online or at a locksmith shop. You can also get one at a Dodge dealership
- Pick one of the working keys and copy it to your new key. You can also have the key copied at different hardware stores. One store we recommend is ACE hardware.
- Insert one of the two old working keys into the ignition lock and turn it to the ON, or (RUN), position.
- After the key has been in the ON position for at least five seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, turn the lock back to the OFF position.
- Remove the first key and insert the second old key and turn it to the ON position within 15 seconds. A theft alarm light should light up after ten seconds and you will hear a sound which will indicate the starting of the programming mode for your new key.
- Turn the key to the OFF position within 60 seconds and remove the old key. Insert the new key you have made and turn it to the ON position. After about ten seconds, you will hear a single sound and the theft alarm light will stop. Wait five seconds and turn the key to the OFF position.
NEED A LOCKSMITH IN COLORADO?
Call Mile High Locksmith for 24/7 mobile service.
- Our dispatch center is located in downtown Denver.
- We have locksmiths across CO – Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder & surrounding cities.
- Lockouts, new locks, key replacement, ignition repair, and more!
- Upfront pricing. No hidden fees.
- Rated 5 stars by over thousands of real customers.