Mile High Lock and Key LLC is an expert automotive locksmith company that is located in Denver, CO. For many years we have been making keys for GMC trucks, repairing ignition switches, changing locks and re-keying the locks. We know everything that there is to know about GMC key or lock services, many common problems GMCs have and how to fix them. Please keep reading below for some information we would like to share about GMC keys, lock repairs, how GMC keys are made, and fixing your GMC key.
GMC pickup truck key replacement
In general if you lost your GMC key or need to make a spare one, GMC keys are very easy to make and copy. If you lost your GMC key and have no spare to copy, there is a couple of ways you can have a replacement key made. The first way will be making a key by a VIN number. You can find the VIN number on your truck title, truck registration, or the truck insurance card. If you cannot get any of those papers, another way some people use is by calling their insurance agent and just asked them for the information. After you get the VIN number for your truck, any locksmith company or GMC dealership will be able to cut you a new key. Please keep in mind that the earlier years may not be in the system anymore and getting a key made by the VIN number will not be possible anymore. We also want to mention that if you do get your key made with a GMC dealership, you will have to have proof of ownership such as your driver’s license and your truck title. The second way to get a new replacement key for your GMC is from one of the locks. Almost all the GMC trucks have the same key that operate all the locks, and disassembling one of the locks from the door, as an example, will be just enough to get a new replacement key for your GMC.
GMC Sierra 1500 pickup truck
- The GMC Sierra pickup truck keys are very simple keys without any features at all. These keys usually only cost a few dollars. If you just need to make a duplicate of a key, we recommend you to try any of your neighbourhood hardware stores, as well as a locksmith store or GMC dealership. If you lost the key, we recommend you to get a new key from a GMC dealership or locksmith store. We usually find a big difference in the pricing between the two and we recommend you to shop around to find the best price. Here is some general information we would like to share with you about your GMC Sierra pickup truck.
- If your GMC Sierra pickup truck is between the years 2007 and 2013 then you can have just a regular key or transponder key.
Keyless remote information for a GMC Sierra pickup truck
- The GMC Sierra pickup truck has a very basic and simple keyless remote. You can buy these remotes online, at a GMC dealership or by a locksmith and usually cost anywhere from $40 to $60. All of the remotes will come with instructions on how to program them yourself and should only take a few minutes to do.
GMC Sierra Denali pickup truck key
The GMC Sierra Denali pickup truck, as always with GMC vehicles, has a simple lock and key. Even though some of the later years will have a transponder, or chip key, the key will still only cost a few dollars. However, if you need a new key made and have no spare to copy from, the price of getting a replacement key made can go up. Here is some general information we would like to share with you about your GMC Sierra Denali pickup truck.
- If your GMC Denali pickup truck was made in the years 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 then most likely you have just a simple and regular key. We like to call this an old fashioned key. If you just need a spare key made, we recommend you to copy your key at your neighborhood hardware store or with a locksmith, or at a GMC dealership. If you lost your key and need a new key made, please see the information above about the GMC Sierra 1500 Pickup truck.
- If your GMC Denali pickup truck was made in the years 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 then most likely you have a transponder, or chip key. These key blanks will cost only a few dollars and usually you will end up paying much more money to have someone program the key to your truck. If you just need to make a spare key, we recommend that you shop around between a locksmith and a GMC dealership. If you lost the key and need a key replacement, then probably a mobile locksmith company will be able to come to the location of your truck, and cut and program you a new key right there.
Program keyless remote GMC Sierra
- Keyless remotes for GMC Sierra’s are very simple to program. You can find these remotes online, at the GMC dealership, or a locksmith company. These remotes cost anywhere from $40 to $60, and always come with instructions on how to program them yourself. If your GMC is between the years 1999 and 2013, you can program a remote to your truck.
Key won’t turn in ignition GMC
We have received many calls from customers with the same common problem. This problem is, that at some point they cannot use the key to start the engine. Usually the ignition switch will stop turning. This is a common problem that happens in many vehicles, as well as GMC trucks. About 90% of the time the problem happens because of a couple of reasons. The first problem can be the key. The key just gets worn out over time or from over copying. Making a copy of the key again will not fix the problem. The best fix for that will be by having either the locksmith or GMC dealership make you a new key by using the code or by VIN number, The second common reason is the ignition cylinder. A part inside the ignition cylinder has gotten stuck, and the best fix for this problem is by having a locksmith re-key your ignition cylinder switch.