With having such hectic lives these days, its hard to believe we don’t lose things more often. When you lose your car key, or even break it, it can not only be annoying, but cause a lot of problems in life such as getting to work, the store, picking up your children from daycare, etc. If you have lost your Ford Taurus key, don’t worry anymore, you have come to the right place. Mile High Lock and Key can not only help make you a new Ford Taurus key, but we can give you some general information on your Ford Taurus key.
Did you know that from 1993 until the year 2012, you can program a keyless remote to your Ford Taurus? You can find these keyless remotes on many online websites, through a locksmith company, or even at a Ford dealership. All of these remotes will come with instructions on how to program the keyless remote yourself, and will usually only take a few minutes to do.
Lost my Ford Taurus key
If you have lost your Ford key, you can get a new key from a few different places. You can get a new Ford Taurus key from a locksmith company, a Ford dealership and even online. If you have lost your Ford Taurus key and are needing to replace it, here is some information we would like to share with you.
- The first place to start is to figure out what kind of a key your Ford Taurus uses. The easiest way to find this out is by the year your Ford Taurus was made.
- If your Ford Taurus was made in the years 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1996 this means that the key you had was a very simple key and if you just need to make a copy of it, then you can make a copy in many neighborhood hardware stores or with a locksmith company. If you have lost the key for your Ford Taurus in these years, you will probably have to use an automotive locksmith company to get a replacement made. It is usually possible to make a key copy by your car VIN number, but because Ford dealerships keep the information around for only about ten years, this means that any Ford Taurus older than 2003 will not have any key information in the system. The good new is that an automotive locksmith company will have many tools to make a replacement key easily.
- If your Ford Taurus was made in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 then most likely you have a transponder chip key. If you just need to make a copy of this key, you will most likely need to go to or, have a locksmith company come to to you, or go to a Ford dealership with your car. The reason is, is because these keys will need to be both cut and programmed to your Ford Taurus’s immobilizer. If you lost your Ford Taurus’s transponder key, the best way to get a replacement key is to use a mobile locksmith company. They will be able to come to you with all the tools necessary, as well as the programming machine needed to make you a working key right there on spot.
- If your Ford Taurus was made in the years 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013, then see the above paragraph about the Ford Taurus’s from 1997 to 2007. The key is basically the same, except that in the Fords made from 2008 to 2013 they can also have a different type of key that is called a key fob. This key has push buttons on the key head. If you lose the newer Ford Taurus key, you have the option to either use just the regular transponder chip key,or you can get a fob key replacement made which is much more expensive.
- In the year 2013, there is another Ford Taurus key that is called an Intelligent Smart Key. This keys need to be cut and programmed to your car.
Ford Taurus key won’t unlock door or turn the ignition switch
If your key will not turn and unlock your Ford Taurus’s door, or turn the ignition switch it can be because of a couple of reasons. The first thing we suggest you check if your key will not turn is to see if your key is worn out. Many times we find that this is the reason why your key will not turn the lock. Making a copy of the key will not help and we recommend that you call a locksmith or a Ford dealership and ask them to make you a new key either by the VIN number or key code. If this isn’t the problem, then it can mean one of the wafers in the door lock or ignition switch has gotten stuck and you should call a locksmith and ask them to re-key the lock.
Ford Taurus broken key
Most Ford Taurus keys will usually break into two pieces. Sometime one of the pieces will even will be stuck inside one of the locks or the ignition switch. If you have a broken key piece inside the lock, do not try to use the other half. The best way to fix this situation is to call a locksmith company. A locksmith will have many different special tools to pull the broken piece out from the lock and most of the professional automotive locksmiths will be able to just look at the two broken pieces of the key and make you a new key that way.