Lost car key replacement It can cost significantly less to rekey your car door lock rather than rekeying your vehicle’s ignition. It’s a good idea to ask a professional to make you a new key for your car using the car’s door lock in order to save money. You can save even more money by removing your car’s door lock and taking it to a locksmith shop and having them make a key for you there.
You can find many vehicles that share the same key for the door lock and the ignition switch lock. In fact, many mobile locksmith companies will use the door lock as a reference in order to make the ignition key for your car.
There are many tools today that professional locksmiths use to read the car’s door lock code. The most common tool locksmiths use today is called a Lishi tool.
Many mobile locksmiths will come to your vehicle’s location and read the key information from your car door lock using the Lishi tool without removing the lock from the car door. Some locksmiths will prefer to remove your car’s door lock and read the key information that way. Either way they will use your car’s door lock to make the new ignition key.
We recommend you consider using a locksmith service
We recommend you consider using a locksmith service when making a key for your car.
Using a professional locksmith company will cost about $100 to $200. Using a locksmith company will be the most convenient way to go.
Here is how you can save some money when you lost the only key to your car:
- Find a local locksmith shop in your area and give them a call. Ask them if they can make you an ignition key if you bring in the car’s door lock. Make sure to provide them with your car’s make, model and year for confirmation.
- Find the most easy door lock on your car to disassemble. We recommend that you do not use the trunk lock or the glove box lock. Remove the door lock from your door.
- You can find instructions on how to remove your car’s door lock online or at the auto parts store.
- After you have the lock in your hand, take it to a local locksmith shop and ask them to make you a new key to your ignition using your door lock as a reference.
- Keep in mind that in some car’s the ignition switch lock is a bit different from the car’s door lock and it will be necessary for the locksmith to provide you anywhere from two up to ten different keys and only one of them will work on your ignition switch lock even when all of them will work on your car’s door lock.
Here is a list of vehicles that share the same key between the door lock to the ignition switch lock:
- Acura and Honda from 1975. You can find the key code stamped on any of the locks such as the door lock, the trunk lock and yes even the glove box lock
- Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep remove car door lock cylinder
- Ford remove car door lock cylinder
- Isuzu remove car door lock cylinder
- Kia remove car door lock cylinder
- Lexus and Toyota from 2003 and up. 90% of the time you can find the key code stamped on the passenger door lock. Lexus and Toyota door locks are very easy to dissemble by unscrewing one screw using a T25 Torx screwdriver.
- Lincoln remove car door lock cylinder
- Mazda remove car door lock cylinder
- Mercury remove car door lock cylinder
- Nissan or Infiniti remove car door lock cylinder
- Subaru remove car door lock cylinder
- Suzuki remove car door lock cylinder
How much does it cost to rekey a car door lock?
Using a mobile locksmith company to rekey your car door can cost anywhere between $100 to $200. A mobile locksmith company will charge additional fees such as a service call fee to travel to your car’s location.
It will cost less by doing some of the work yourself such as removing the door lock and bringing it into a locksmith shop.
Ignition switch or door lock, how to fix?
Ideally, the better way to fix your door lock or ignition switch lock is by replacing them completely with new locks. You can buy an ignition switch lock or a door lock at aftermarket online stores, auto parts stores, locksmith shops and at dealerships. The cost for those locks can be significantly different. To be a smart shopper it is always a good idea to shop around for those locks online. In many cases you can find differences in pricing between all these places.
Some auto repair shops such as mechanics can change those locks as well.
A convenient option is to use a mobile locksmith company. The locksmith will be able to come to your vehicle’s location which will save you time but in most cases will cost more. They can repair your ignition switch lock or your car door lock right on spot. The locksmith will have additional options to just change a few parts in the lock from actually changing the whole lock itself. That will make it possible for them to repair the lock right on spot. If you’re looking for a locksmith service it is a good idea to call a few companies to get the best price.