Did you lose the key for your Subaru Outback? Who can make you a key without the original? Where can you find the best price and what should you watch for when you order a new key replacement for your Subaru Outback? Here are some tips:
The cost for a new Subaru key and where you can make a new key for your Subaru will be determined by the year of your Subaru Outback. These keys are very different between the years. Below, we will break down what type of key your Subaru Outback requires by the year.
Subaru Outback key fob replacement
What is the difference between a Subaru Outback key fob and a fob that is separate?
- A key fob is a key that is one unit and has the push buttons on it. This is different from a fob where the key and push buttons are separate. (See picture above). The key fob is plastic and has push buttons to lock and unlock the doors, open the trunk and has a red panic button. Subaru started to make key fobs for the Subaru Outback starting in the year 2008 and continues into 2017 models.
What if the fob is separate from the key?
- If your Subaru fob is separate from the key and has the buttons to lock and unlock the doors and a button to open the trunk but no red panic button then you have just an old fashioned fob. This fob has a different electronic chip and different programing procedures from the key fob that you will find with newer models of Subaru Outbacks.
Subaru made these types of fobs that are separate from the keys in the years 2005, 2006 and 2007.
Where can I find the key code on my Subaru Outback?
How to save money by doing some of the work yourself
- You cannot find any key codes on Subaru Outback locks or ignition locks. If you lose your key and are wanting to save some money by doing some of the work yourself, you can remove the driver side or passenger side door lock or the ignition lock and take it to a locksmith shop. You can then ask them to make you a key from the lock itself. This key will work on the rest of the locks as well.
- Subaru Outbacks from the years: 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 share the exact same key between the driver side door lock, passenger side door lock and the ignition lock.
These keys are just regular keys without a transponder chip key feature or anti-theft system and no programming is needed.
In these years you can have a locksmith make you a key from the lock and you are done. The key will start the engine as well.
- Before you remove the lock and take it to a locksmith shop, confirm that your older key was the same key that worked on both the door lock and ignition lock. It is possible that over the years one of the locks has been changed and these keys do not match anymore. If one of the locks has been changed it will be impossible to match the key between these locks without removing all of them.
- From the year 2005 your key will need to be programed by a professional and your car will need to be present. We recommend you hire a professional to make you a new key replacement for your car.
Subaru Outback key replacement cost
- If you lose the key for your Subaru Outback, there are two places that can make you a new key. The first place will be a Subaru dealership and the second place will be a locksmith company. It is always a good idea to call your neighborhood Subaru dealership and ask them what the cost will be to get a new key replacement. Especially for a Subaru Outback from the year 2004 and older. In these older years, you can just pick up the key from the dealership without bringing in your car. The dealership will ask you to bring proof of ownership.
- The second place you can get a new Subaru Outback key made will be with an automotive locksmith company. A locksmith company will be a more convenient way to have a new key replacement made, especially if your Subaru Outback was made in the year 2005 or after. The reason is because the locksmith will have mobile locksmith services and will be able to bring the programing machine to your car’s location and make you a working key right on spot.
How much will it cost?
Prices between a Subaru dealership and a locksmith company can be different. The locksmith will add a service call fee when the dealership will ask you to bring the car in which will add towing fees.
If you have full coverage insurance, we recommend you call your insurance company and find out if you have roadside assistance for locksmith services or towing.
Since the prices for service are different between different locksmith companies and even between different Subaru dealerships, we recommend you call a few Subaru dealers and a few locksmith companies and shop around for the best price.
- From the year 1989 to 2004, your Subaru Outback has just a regular key without any features. No programing is needed. The key part number is X251.
- Subaru Outbacks in the years 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 have a transponder key. This key needs to be programed to your car in order to start it. The key part number is SUB4-PT.
- Subaru Outbacks in the years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 have a high security transponder key. This key needs to be programed. The key part number is DAT17T13.
- Subaru Outbacks in the years 2015, 2016 and 2017 have a key fob.
Information: If you have lost your Subaru Outback key and your Subaru was made in the years 2015, 2016 or 2017, we strongly urge you to verify your OEM part number using the VIN number with a Subaru dealership before any work is done. If you are using a locksmith company, make sure that the locksmith can match the part number you received from the dealership before he tries to program a new key. Making a new key replacement for your Subaru Outback without first verifying the OEM part number with the dealership for these years can cause damage to your car’s computer.