Did you lose the key for your Subaru Impreza? Who can make you a new key replacement and what should you watch for when you use a locksmith service? Here are some tips and information about making a new key replacement for your Subaru Impreza when you have no key to copy from.
Important: If you are using a locksmith service to make you a new key replacement for your Subaru Impreza from the years 2012 until 2017, we strongly urge you to verify the OEM part number by using your car’s VIN number with the Subaru dealership. You can then provide it to the locksmith to make sure the locksmith’s key part number matches the key key part number you received from the dealer before the locksmith does any work on your car. The reason is if the locksmith tries to program a different key without verifying the OEM part number, it can cause damage to your car’s computer.
Information: From the year 2012 until the year 2017, most likely your Subaru Impreza has a new keyway. In other words, even if your key looks exactly the same as the key for the 2011 Subaru Impreza, most likely the key for the year 2011 and earlier years will not fit the key holes for a Subaru Impreza from the years 2012 to 2017.
Are all the models of Subaru Impreza difficult to make a new key replacement for?
The answer is no. In fact, most Subaru keys are very easy to replace even when you lost the only key you had.
Who can make me a key for my Subaru Impreza?
- Subaru dealership
- Automotive locksmith
Subaru Impreza key programming
What is the difference between a Subaru dealership and an automotive locksmith service?
The difference between a Subaru dealership and an automotive locksmith is the cost and the service. Who will cost less and who will provide you with more comfortable service will depend on your Subaru Impreza’s year. The reason is that over the years Subaru Impreza keys have changed as well as the cost. If your Subaru is older, most likely the Subaru dealership will be cheaper. If your Subaru impreza is a newer model then most likely the automotive locksmith will be a better deal. Here are some examples:
- If your Subaru Impreza was made in the years 2002, 2003 or 2004, your key has no extra features and the key is just a regular key. The part number is X251. No programming is needed. The owner of the car can take the title and their ID to the closet Subaru dealership and have them make a new key replacement using the car’s VIN number.
From the year 2005 and up, your key will have a transponder chip inside the keyhead. This chip is invisible to you and will need to be programed to your car in order to be able to start it. A locksmith will be able to bring the programing machine to your car’s location and the dealership will ask you to tow the car in.
- If your Subaru Impreza was made in the years 2005, 2006 or 2007, then you have a transponder chip key with part number SUB4-PT. This key requires programming by a professional.
- If your Subaru Impreza was made in the years 2008, 2009 or 2010, then you have a high security transponder chip key with part number DAT17T13 that needs to be programmed by a professional.
- If your Subaru Impreza was made in the years 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017, then you have a high security transponder chip key with part number DAT17T13 or SR12-PHT. In the later years It is possible you may have a different type of key. The best way to verify which key your car requires is to call your local Subaru dealership and ask them what your key’s part number is using your VIN number and then you can provided it to the professional who makes you the key.
NEED A LOCKSMITH IN COLORADO?
Call Mile High Locksmith for 24/7 mobile service.
- Our dispatch center is located in downtown Denver.
- We have locksmiths across CO – Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder & surrounding cities.
- Lockouts, new locks, key replacement, ignition repair, and more!
- Upfront pricing. No hidden fees.
- Rated 5 stars by over thousands of real customers.