Chevy Cobalt has one of the simplest keys to make. If you lost the key or just need a key copy, you can use a professional to make you a new key such as a dealership or a locksmith company. You can also do some of the work yourself and save some money. Below we will share some information with you about what type of a key your Chevy Cobalt requires and how to make a new one.
Did you know that you can program a key for your Chevrolet Cobalt yourself?
Chevy Cobalt key
- If your Chevy Cobalt was made in the year 2005 then you have just a simple key without any features or chip. These keys do not need to be programmed to your car.
- If your Chevy Cobalt was made in the years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010, then your Chevy Cobalt has a transponder chip key. These keys have a hidden chip inside of them and they need to be programmed to your car.
- If you lost the key to your Chevy Cobalt you can buy a new key blank at three different places:
- With a locksmith company. A locksmith will be the most convenient way. The locksmith will be able to use a mobile service to make you a new working key at your location.
- At a dealership. The dealer will ask you to come in or bring your car in.
- At an online store. There are many online stores where you can buy a Chevy Cobalt key blank. After you get the key, you will still need to take it to a locksmith or a hardware store to have it cut. After you get the key cut, you can program it yourself.
Chevy Cobalt key programming
You can program a Chevy Cobalt key yourself without using any tools or equipment. To save some money you can either buy the key with the cut from the dealership or locksmith company and program the key yourself. Some people will find it even cheaper to buy the key blank online, get it cut at the locksmith store, and program the key themselves. It is always a good idea to research prices and find out your options.
After you get the new transponder chip key blank cut, this is how you program it yourself:
- Insert your new working key into the ignition cylinder and turn the ignition on. The theft light on the dash will light up and stay on for ten minutes.
- When the theft light goes out, repeat step number one, two more times.
- When the theft light turns off for the third time, the new key has been programmed.
If you buy more than one key you can program a second one.
- Within 20 seconds of completing the last step for the first key, insert the second key you just bought and turn to the ignition on . When the light goes out, the new key is programmed.
By programming keys this way, you will erase any old keys that worked in the past.
If you just need to add a duplicate key:
If you just need a duplicate key you can still program the new key yourself, although you will have to have two working keys in order to program a new third key. If you do not have two working keys, we recommend you to just contact a locksmith company or dealership to have an additional key made. If you do have two working keys, this is how you program a third key to your car yourself:
- Insert the first old working key into the ignition cylinder.
- Turn the ignition on.
- When the theft light goes out, remove the key.
- Insert the second old working key and turn the ignition on. When the theft light goes out, remove the key.
- Insert the third key you have just made and turn the ignition on. When the theft light goes out, the key has been programmed.
Chevy Cobalt key wont come out of ignition
Most likely, you have one of two problems. Either your key is worn out or one of the parts in your ignition cylinder got stuck. The best fix for that is to first try to make a new key by your car’s VIN number. If that doesn’t work, ask a locksmith to rekey your ignition lock.