Since 1989 until today, Subaru has changed the keys to the Subaru Legacy four times. Does your Subaru Legacy have an electronic chip inside the key? What type of a key does your car require? Where can you make a spare key and where can you get a new replacement key if you lost the only key you had? How can you fix a problem with your ignition switch when the key won’t turn?
Did you know that if you just need to make a key copy for your Subaru Legacy, and your car is older than 2004, you can make a key copy with many hardware stores or a locksmith shop? Two of the hardware stores we recommend you try are Ace Hardware or a Home Depot.
Subaru Legacy key replacement
Where can you get a new key replacement for your Subaru Legacy and what will be the cost? It will depend on what type of key your Subaru Legacy requires.
Below we will share with you some basic information about what type of a key your Subaru Legacy requires by the year.
- If your car was made in the years 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, or 2004, then your Subaru Legacy requires just a regular key without any features. This key is what we like to call an old fashioned key. This key is cheaper and easier to make.
- If your car was made in the years 2005, 2006, or 2007, then your key has an electronic chip hidden inside the key head. This key needs to be programmed by a professional such as a locksmith or a dealership.
- If your car was made in the years 2008 or 2009, then besides having an electronic chip that needs to be programed to your car, the key will have push buttons on it to lock, unlock the doors, ect. This is known as a key fob remote.
- If your car was made in the years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014, then your key will need to be programed to your car, and cut with a high security laser cutting key machine. A locksmith or a dealership will be able to make this key for you.
Subaru Legacy spare key
- If you have time and are just wanting to duplicate your car key, any Subaru Legacy older than 2004 will have just a simple key to copy. You can copy this key almost anywhere. Some of the stores we recommend you try are Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and even WalMart.
- If you have some time and want to duplicate your car key and your Subaru Legacy is newer than 2005, then your key will be required to be cut and programed by a professional such as a locksmith or a dealership. If you are wanting to save some money, you can buy just the key blank online at one of the many stores. Then bring the key blank to a professional to cut and program it for you. Some of the stores we recommend you shop around on are Ebay.com, Amazon.com, Ikeyless.com and Keylessride.com.
Subaru Legacy ignition key won’t turn
If your key will not turn your ignition lock, we recommend you call a locksmith and ask them to make you a new key by your car’s VIN number. However, do not try to just make a key copy of the old key.